The main goal of this project is to build a branding platform for whitefish from the North Atlantic that facilitates market differentiation in terms of sustainable production and superior consumer benefits.
Furthermore, to demonstrate how a Living Lab can be established in the marine sector, dealing with innovation challenge, where the solution is co-created, explored, demonstrated and evaluated with a user-centric approach in real-world environment.
Whitefishmall workshop in Reykjavik on December 4th. Klick for information and registration.
Cod and haddock products originating in the North Atlantic come primarily from sustainable stocks, are healthy to eat and preliminary studies show that they are associated with comparatively low environmental impact. In an ideal world this would give these products a competitive advantage and higher price in the market, but currently this is not the case.
If the North Atlantic cod and haddock industry is to survive and thrive, it needs diversification through market innovation where the desirable characteristics of their products are communicated in a way that is relevant and understandable for the consumer.
The whitefish sector in the N-Atlantic is loosing in the competition with alternative products. Particularly cheap farmed whitefish products from Asia, such as pangasius and tilapia. It is therefore important for the whitefish sector in the Nordic countries to establish market differentiation based on the many favourable characteristics of whitefish products form the N-Atlantic.
The vision is to enhance innovation in the Nordic whitefish sector, and thereby enhancing its competitiveness through new and sustainable products.
- A branding strategy (mission of the whitefish brand, identity attributes, value proposition based on crowd sourcing and market communication
- An industry guideline for how to collect, process and communicate relevant product information
- A demonstration of a specific innovative whitefish product; a prototype in terms of packaging, market channels (distribution and communication) and price
- Evaluation of the prototype compared to the recommended branding strategy
- The establishment of a market differentiation for whitefish products from the N-Atlantic and confirm that the methodology of Living Lab can be applied successfully in the marine sector.
WHO is in the project?
Matís ohf., IS
Jónas R. Viðarsson
Matís ohf., IS
Syntesa sp/f, FO
Nofima AS, NO
FISK Seafood hf., IS
Framherji sp/f, FO
Ocean Choices International, CA
Vísir hf., IS
Fisheries Council of Canada, CA
Norway Seafoods Group AS, NO