The objective of the project was to:
- Increase knowledge of quantitative microbial hazard analysis in the Nordic food industries
- Develop computer-based tools to be used in quantitative microbial hazard analysis and decision-making.
The project has provided opportunities for both the industry and its scientific partners in the Nordic countries to increase and share knowledge of quantitative hazard analysis during workshops organized within the project.
Tools demonstrating a methodology for decision-making and microbial hazard analysis were developed and evaluated during the project. Demonstrations of these tools are available at the project website and by contacting the project partners. Presentations of these tools are also included in the appendices of the final report which can be downloaded here below.
These tools are:
- A decision-making tool that provides help during the systematic evaluation of microbial hazards and an aid for finding data and information needed during decision-making.
- A calculation tool for simulating bacterial levels along the production chain, taking into account variations in process and product parameters.
- Databases for systematically collecting the microbial and process data important for assessing bacterial concentrations along the production chain.
During workshops, the tools were demonstrated for and tested by a number of dairy industries in the Nordic countries.
Project duration: 01.06.2004 - 31.05.2007